For this storyline all the characters were elves and ran from the 19th of April 2017 to the 31st of May 2017 over four sessions.
There are major clans of the elves spread throughout this region of the world, with most of the clans located here.
Characters got to observe the Majesty of the forest and the Tree of Life, the relic of the elves. Only those deemed worthy can enter into the service of the tree’s becoming student, guardian and carer of their culture.
Bad magic and Good magic of the forest was explained as the balance of nature and part of the magic that keeps the forest alive, you can’t have one without the other.
To this end the group was tasked as adults to deal with horrors that has escaped from one of the bad magic zones. This resulted in travel under the tree’s and along the water leading to the death of one of the characters. Later they stopped incursions into the forest by Orcs, who were here to pillage and burn and later by Dwarves, who were here to cause havoc and enjoy their childhood by doing what an adult would not be allowed to do.
This earned the group enough prestige to be invited to join specific clans of the forest and finally complete the test of adulthood taking four game years to complete.
Six players, each having backgrounds that fitted into the setting or changing the setting slightly to allow for the backgrounds to work. Here I had to remind players the premise of the campaign arc was to try out all the different class and races and see how they fared in a home campaign. And while Unearthed Arcana was allowed, it was with negotiation with the game master (me) and not by default.
For this setting the characters all woke up under the shadow of the tree of life at Ainsun having spent the last few years of their childhood learning in the presence of the tree while they dreamed their last true dreams. All the characters are leaf mates having completed the ceremony to adulthood together.
- Wood Elves – The woodly realm was run by wood elves, as at the centre of every clan (even the high elves) was a Tree of Life that supported all elves as a gift from their Immortal guardian Ilsundal god of the elves.
- High Elves – The high magic support for the forest is provided by the clans of high elves, they also seek more communication with the outside world and those clans that are found outside the forest.
- Eladrin – The fey kind, or most mischievous of the elven clans, have the least in common with the forest and only arrive as visitors, not having a clan of their own in this forest.
Notable changes to the setting:
- Elves age and grow over 100 years, unlike the 15 years it takes a human to age. All children are under the protection of all the clans, and only adults can become clan members either by birth or by choice.
- Elven relics are Legendary and Artefact level of power. These items are tied to the Elven Tree’s of Life which are the centre of every elven clan.
Next up: GAZ6 – The Dwarves of Rockhome