This storyline was a lot of fun to move to after playing the elves (See GAZ5: The Elves of Alfheim) who were philosophical compared to the dwarves who were more practical and constructive. Ran over four sessions from the 14th of June 2017 to the 26th of July 2017.
The characters were all assigned guard duty of a caravan where they were provided goats as steeds, and were there to deal with travel above ground for the first time for some of their characters. This included delivery of the caravan to the Northern Reaches (the next storyline) so players had a little introduction to that area as well with some combat in the mountains.
Combat continued into the city of Dengar where they also ended up being involved in a spot of lizard wrangling (!) as they had to recover some that had escaped from a warehouse. Finally they moved onto an experience with dwarven technology and where they ended once again with guard duty but this time on the border with the horselords.
Six players, each having backgrounds that fitted into the setting or changing the setting slightly to allow for the backgrounds to work. All character have to be Dwarves for this storyline, and belong to one of the great clans of Rockhome. Hill dwarves will all belong to the farming clan on the surface and be outcasts of the society.
- Mountain Dwarves – Rule the country and are welcome underground
- Hill Dwarves – Are considered outcasts and banished to the surface
The city of Dengar, in the nation of Rockhome. The starting items are being used more in the storyline, and at each level gain, the players gain a free roll on the treasure table for their tier, they gain 500 gp and if they roll in the items, get to roll for random items. Then they can share those items with the group as they choose.
Notable changes to the setting:
- Dwarven mounts using goats and lizards. Goats above ground and lizards below.
- Mountain Dwarves have a new feat that provides magic resistance, to the point where they become resistant to healing effects (as per the setting)
- The Druger (Deep dwarves) are considered not related to the current dwarves as being a different species and not able to breed with hill or mountain dwarves.
- It is possible for a hill dwarf to become a mountain dwarf and vice versa, though this is legend and rarely spoken about
- The dwarven relic provides both legendary and artefact level items, each great clan is built around these relics of darkness.
Next up: GAZ7 – The Northern Reaches