This is my eighth mini campaign around the known world which ran for six sessions from the 18th of October 2017 to the 7th of February 2018.
At this point, character fatigue is starting to set in on the more long term players, so I’ll be looking to wrap up the country by country activity before completing all 14 base gazetteers, the boxed set and the player crucible series I had as an extra option that may have taking the campaign set up to the end of 2019. As it is I have plans to have the campaign outlined in Wrath of the Immortals happen by the end of 2018.
The characters were based in the Shire near Karameikos and had to deal with wizards stirring up trouble and threatening lives in the village they were assigned. Following up on leads they dealt with a group of bandits that were in the process of sneaking into the shire, thinning the Orc warrens in the mountains above Mistmyr Falls.
They met with a Master of the shire, the true hero’s of folklore who work behind the scenes to save the shire, though they prefer to use those who don’t mind the limelight, they serve the Immortals directly as agents of the people. Their last task was to stop an invasion from the Black Eagle Barony organised by Bargle the Infamous.
Providing a roll for magical items at each level is working out okay, though it also has issues where some characters get less than others.
Six players, each having backgrounds that fitted into the setting or changing the setting slightly to allow for the backgrounds to work. The characters are all to be able to work in the Five Shires without prejudice, so we have mainly halflings and gnomes.
- Stout – One of the two types of halflings living in the shires
- Lightfoot – The second of the two halflings living in the shires
- Ghostwise – Halfling from another part of the world learning about where the halfling race came from but unlike those who live here, he has knowledge of their history and language that have been forgotten
- Forest – Small groups of gnomes live in the forest in the shire, but are not part of the community
The characters start in Wereskalot in the Eastshire as assigned by the Sheriff of Eastshire.
Notable changes to the setting:
- Mysteries of the Blackflame, the Halfling relic which can create legendary and atrefact level items and belong to each major clan (there is the thought to give it to every clan, but that is a lot of clans, at least 50 odd in comparison to elves having about 10 and dwarves having 7.
- Masters prestige class only for Halflings
- Denial ability of Halflings within proximity of a blackflame or carrying the essence of moonlight
Next up: GAZ9 – The Minrothad Guilds