This session ran recently on the 5th of September 2018 and was the culmination of 84 sessions and three and a half years of games and planning. I should have known things were going to go bad when one of the players said that if they wanted heroes, these are not the people they should hire.
So while travelling across Darokin to the great lake and talking with the merchant, they finally reached the tower they were to clear and then proceeded to be spiteful to their employer by destroying the tower and any tapestries, painting and paperwork they were hired to preserve as part of their employment.
They missed an opportunity to be heroic and engage with the backstory of the campaign and therefore walked into the next section of the story blind to what the campaign was really about.
Player choice to make their character evil for the campaigns first major story arc was a surprise for me, but it was within their rights, the unfortunate thing for them was it ruled out these characters from the rest of the story line and they were told these characters were not going forward into any future adventures as player characters. This does not mean they can’t be NPC’s in the future.
Started in Selenica, as a follow on adventure from Rahasia for the same characters.
Major Plot Points:
Characters have been hired to clear out a castle on the borders of Darokin and the Broken Lands to the north of their great lake. They are permitted to keep any treasure they find, as long as the merchant hiring them can choose to purchase items (at fair market value), with the exception that all tapestries, paper and paintings are to be passed on as part of the heritage of the place.
The adventure was planned to go over three sessions and cover the following major campaign plot points.
- The Mirror Shield of Rheddrian – What it is, what it can do, where it comes from.
- Rheddrian – Who he is, where he came from, what he knows, and what help he needs.
- Crackle and the others – Who they are, what they are, and why there are there.
- The Knight’s Rivets – Why are various parties meeting there, who is doing the inviting, who is invited, how are they invited, why are they invited.
- 1004 AC – What happened in the missing year.
Notable changes to the setting:
- A reminder that Evil parties are removed from the list of playable characters and become NPC’s for the Dungeon Master to use against the players.